Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas produced when heating systems are not working correctly. You can't smell, taste or see carbon monoxide. That makes it very dangerous. Carbon monoxide can build up inside a house because of incomplete combustion. It can cause severe sickness and even death.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Sudden flu-like illness
- Dizziness, headaches, sleepiness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fluttering or throbbing heartbeat
- Cherry-red lips, unusually pale complexion
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Get the victim out of the house and into fresh air immediately.
- Call 911 or emergency medical help at once.
- Get everyone else out of the house.
- Open the windows.
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Be alert for the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms and replace them every five years.
- Never operate internal combustion engines indoors.
- Never use a charcoal grill indoors.
- Have all fuel-burning appliances, flues, vents and chimneys checked regularly.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarms
Make sure your home is equipped with working CO alarms.
- In two-story homes, install at least one CO alarm on each level.
- For added safety, consider installing a CO alarm in each bedroom.
- If your home has a basement, install a CO alarm at the top of the basement stairs.
- Change the batteries in CO alarms at the beginning of winter and then every six months.
- Replace CO alarms older than five years.
First Alert CO Alarms
First Alert is offering MGU customers a 20% discount on all of its Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms.
To take advantage of this offer, visit FirstAlertStore.com and purchase products using the coupon code INTEGRYS when you check out.
First Alert will provide the discount through April 2, 2013.