MGU dates back to pre-Civil War days, when gas was manufactured from coal and used for street lighting and lighting in private homes and commercial businesses. The strength of its gas supply and storage has enabled MGU to provide reliable, affordable and stable service to its customers throughout the years.

How we've grown

The company has grown over the decades as a result of a series of acquisitions and growth in local communities. Below are a few of our milestones.

1859
I. R. Grosvenor, B. F. Fifield, J. R. Rauch, C. K. Green and E. A. Lansing incorporated the Monroe Gas Light Company. At the end of the first year, 662,000 cubic feet of gas had been manufactured and sold through approximately 4,500 feet of wooden gas main.
1907
W. E. Moss Associates of Detroit purchased the gas properties in Monroe, Hillsdale, Coldwater, and Grand Haven.
1924
The four W. E. Moss Associates gas properties became part of Central States Utilities Company.
1925
Otsego-Allegan County Gas Company, South Haven Gas Company, Benton Harbor St. Joe Gas and Fuel Company, and Sturgis Gas Company were merged into the Michigan Fuel and Light Company.
1927
Cadillac Gas Company became part of the Michigan Fuel and Light Company.
1928
Central States Utilities Company was acquired by the National Utilities Company of Michigan, a subsidiary of the National Gas and Electric Corporation, and was incorporated in Michigan under that name.
1929
Traverse City Gas Company was acquired by Michigan Fuel and Light Company.
1942
Michigan Fuel and Light and National Utilities Company of Michigan were united as the National Utilities Company of Michigan.
1949
National Utilities Company of Michigan became an independent operating utility company under the integration and simplification plan its former parent company, the National Gas and Electric Corporation.
1951
The name Michigan Gas Utilities (MGU) Company was adopted.
1964
MGU purchased the production facilities at the Partello Gas Field which reduced the volume of gas required from the interstate pipeline suppliers during the winter months.
1971
The Partello Gas Field was depleted and converted into underground gas storage.
1989
Missouri based UtiliCorp United purchased Michigan Gas Utilities.
2002
Utilicorp United changed its name to Aquila and MGU became Aquila – Michigan.
2006
WPS Resources Corporation (now Integrys Energy Group) acquired Aquila – Michigan. The Michigan Gas Utilities name was restored.
2015
Integrys Energy Group, Inc. and its operating companies were acquired and now do business as WEC Energy Group. MGU continues to operate as a separate utility under the new parent company.

Natural gas supports expansion

The complete system conversion to natural gas in the early 1950s was the key to the phenomenal growth of MGU during the next 20 years. Throughout the 1950s, MGU established itself as an integral part of the growing southern Michigan Region.

The 1960s proved to be a period of customer growth and new main construction. MGU gained about 30,000 customers during this period. For example, in 1960 more than 400 miles of mains were built to add 30 communities in the franchised area.


WEC Energy Group